Halfway through January already and there's not doubt that many have left their "healthy resolutions" behind. Too often failure comes from trying to do too much too soon. You set yourself up for failure when you try to do a complete 180 on your diet and exercise starting January 1st. But it doesn't have to be this way! By choosing small, achievable goals, you can work your way up to that overhaul you've been wanting/needing.
"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time." Creighton Abrams
So, what are the "small bites" you can be taking right now to a more healthier you? So glad you asked!
1. Water. Water. Water. Many who report feeling "hungry" are often, in fact, dehydrated. Aim for at least 1/2 your body weight in ounces per day. Here at CCN, we start our day with 16 ounces of lemon water; think of it as a shower... for your insides! Beverages such as La Croix and herbal teas are good, but don't count toward your water goal for the day. Think of those as extras!
2. MOVE. And no this doesn't mean jumping into a 6 day a week workout when you've been doing 0 workouts a week. Aim to move more than you have been. Whether that be a walk on your lunch break, parking the car further away from the store, etc. Smart watches can count your steps (10,000 is a good number to hit daily). And if you do need to add workouts - a minimum of 4 - 30 minute workouts per week can help get you on the right track and create positive physical changes.
3. Eat regularly. I know it sounds weird and counter-intuitive to eat more to weight less, but trust us. You need to regulate that blood sugar. Blood sugar spikes can cause weight gain. Without getting too scientific, when your blood sugar spikes your body creates more insulin. More insulin increases fat tissues and promotes weight gain. How to regulate? Eat within one hour of waking up (unless working out first thing) and every 3-4 hours after that. No more than 4 hours between snacks and meals.
If you're drinking water, moving more, and eating regularly and are ready to take it one step further we have an awesome Fresh Start Healthy Heart challenge coming up on February 5th. This challenge includes:
The Challenge Packet includes:
- Individual Metabolic Assessment by CCN certified team
- 2 week Cleanse meal plan (newly designed format!)
- 1 week meal plan based on individual caloric needs
- 1 week quick and flexible meal plan
- Food exchange list & other important references
- Grocery shopping list & meal prep guide
- Weekly e-mail check ins
- Food and exercise logs
- NEW workouts!
- Overall wellness, tips & activities
- Facebook online group support & accountability & live videos
- One month of expert nutrition guidance
And if you don't want to wait until then and would love to jump start your health today, we have a 10 day challenge available now! Unlike our other programs, this challenge is a 10 day cleanse designed for simple, strategic meals to not only reset your palette, but also your metabolism.
Here's a sample smoothie from the plan that will have you feeling tropical even in the coldest places!
Glorious Green Smoothie
1 cup frozen pineapple
2 big handfuls dark greens (spinach, kale, power greens, mixture)
½ cup zucchini or summer squash
Juice of ½ lime
1 Tablespoon chia or hemp seeds
½ teaspoon spirulina or chlorella (optional)
½ teaspoon matcha powder (optional)
1 pitted date (optional)
½ cup unsweetened coconut water or milk
Top with 1 Tablespoon unsweetened shredded coconut
*Photo courtesy of our member, Inna P.*